How to Write a Dating Profile That Survives Translation (With Examples)
Somewhere, someone is reading your profile at midnight with a translation app open in another tab. Maybe they're in Kraków, maybe in Cebu. Their English is decent but not perfect, and they're trying to work out whether you're kind, whether you're serious, and what on earth "couch potato" means.
That's who you're writing for on an international dating site. Most profile advice assumes everyone lives in the same city and speaks the same language. This guide doesn't. (In a hurry? Jump straight to the template.)
Your profile has two readers: a person and a translation app
Before anything else, run the translation test. Paste your profile into a translation app, translate it into a language your matches speak, then translate the result back into English. Whatever comes back is roughly what the other side reads.
We tried it with a very typical profile. Here's the original:
Not here for games lol. Looking for my partner in crime. Total couch potato on Sundays, but I clean up nice. Swipe left if you can't handle sarcasm.
And here's what came back after a trip through Google Translate into Spanish and back into English:
Not here for games hahaha. Looking for my accomplice. On Sundays I'm a couch potato, but I clean myself well. Swipe left if you can't stand the sarcasm.
"Looking for my accomplice." "I clean myself well." Funny when you know the original. Less funny if you're the person in Valencia deciding whether to reply.
Then we ran the same test on a plainer version:
I love travelling and trying food from different countries. I'm looking for a kind, honest person to talk to every day, and maybe one day to meet. I laugh easily and I like long conversations.
That one came back almost word for word. It's less "clever". It's also the one that anyone, anywhere, can understand and answer.
What usually breaks: idioms ("partner in crime", "clean up nice"), abbreviations like lol or tbh, sarcasm, and references to TV shows or memes that never reached their country. Short sentences with one idea each almost always survive.
Put the basics where people can find them
Someone abroad can't tell from your accent or your neighbourhood what a local would pick up in a second. Put the basics near the top:
- your city and country
- your languages, honestly: "English fluent, Spanish basic, Polish learning slowly"
- whether a translator is fine with you: "Write in any language, I'll use a translator"
- what you're looking for: friendship first, something serious, marriage
- whether long distance works for you, and whether you could travel, or one day move
- roughly when you're free to talk: "evenings, Central European Time"
It isn't romantic. It saves everyone weeks of polite chatting with someone who wants something completely different.
Swap adjectives for things that actually happen in your week
"Kind", "funny", "loyal" and "family-oriented" are in nearly every profile, so readers skim past them. Details are what people remember and reply to.
- Instead of "I'm family-oriented": "Most Sundays I have lunch with my parents and my two nephews, who always beat me at cards."
- Instead of "I love nature": "Most Saturdays I'm on my bike by eight, heading for the lake."
- Instead of "I like cooking": "I cook three dishes well. I cook them a lot."
One real detail beats five adjectives. A detail about where you live ("there's a bakery on my street that opens at five, and I'm usually its first customer") gives someone abroad a picture of your life they can't get anywhere else.
End with an easy first line
Plenty of people would write to you but don't know how to start, especially in a second language. Finish with a question they can answer in one sentence:
- "Tell me the best dish from your country."
- "What's the first place you'd show me in your city?"
- "Which song should we play on our first road trip?"
Now anyone who likes your profile has a first message ready.
Photos for someone seeing you from 5,000 km away
They can't bump into you at a café, so your photos do a lot of the work. Use a recent, clear photo of just your face as the main one (no sunglasses, no group shots). Then add one full-length photo from the last year or two, and one or two of your actual life: the hike, the market, the dog. Photos of where you live are great conversation starters for someone who's never been there. Go easy on filters. If someone eventually flies to meet you, you want them to recognise you at arrivals.
A few privacy habits matter more on international sites:
- Check the background for house numbers, car number plates and documents.
- Don't reuse photos from a public Instagram or Facebook account. A reverse image search can lead from your dating photo to your full name in seconds.
- Turn off location tagging in your phone's camera before taking new photos, so the files don't carry your exact address.
- Leave your children out of the photos, even if you mention them in the text.
Be honest. They might get on a plane.
In international dating, people decide whether to spend their savings and holidays on a trip based on what you wrote. Small lies feel much bigger once someone has crossed an ocean. The questions people ask most:
- Divorced? Say so, and skip the story for now.
- Kids? Mention them, but keep them out of the photos.
- Job? Your job title is enough. Nobody needs your employer's name yet.
- Age and photos? Current ones. Always.
What to cut
- Lists of what you don't want ("no liars, no players, no drama"). They say more about your last relationship than about you.
- Compliments about a whole nationality. "I like women from X because they're…" turns a person into a category, and people from X have heard it before.
- Money and status. Your salary and your car attract exactly the kind of attention you don't want.
- Phone numbers, email addresses and social media handles. Keep chatting on the site until you've had a video call and feel sure the person is real.
The template
Fill in the blanks, then change every line that doesn't sound like you:
I'm [name], [age], from [city, country]. I work as [job title], and most weekends I [one specific thing]. I speak [languages and how well]; a translator is fine with me. I'm looking for [what you want], and I'm [open / not open] to long distance. I'm usually free to talk [when, with your time zone]. Want to start? Tell me [your question].
Two example profiles
These two are made up, but they're the kind of profile we'd love to see more of.
Marta, 34, Wrocław, Poland
I'm a pharmacist, and on weekends I'm usually somewhere on a bike trail with a flask of tea. I speak Polish and English, and I'm learning Spanish with an app that keeps telling me I'm doing great (I'm not). I'm looking for a serious relationship, and long distance is fine if we both want to meet. I'm free most evenings, Central European Time. Tell me the best dish from your country, and I'll tell you about pierogi.
Daniel, 41, Durban, South Africa
I fix air-conditioning systems, so summer is my busy season and winter is my fishing season. I'm divorced, with a twelve-year-old daughter who is much funnier than me. I speak English and a little isiZulu; write in any language, I'll use a translator. I'd like something serious with someone kind and patient. Long distance is fine, and I can travel twice a year. What's the first place you'd show me in your city?
Before you hit save
- Did it survive the translation test?
- Are your city, country, languages and time zone there?
- Is it clear what you're looking for?
- Is there at least one detail only you could have written?
- Does it end with a question?
- Is your main photo recent, clear and just you?
Quick answers
How long should a dating profile be?
Somewhere around 100 to 200 words works well: enough for two or three details, short enough to read on a phone.
How many photos should I use?
Four to six is plenty. A clear main photo of your face, one full-length, and a few of your life.
Can I write my profile in my own language?
You can, and some sites translate automatically. But if you'd like to meet people from many countries, a simple English version (or both) reaches more of them.
Should I say I'm using a translator?
Yes. It's honest, it explains any odd phrasing, and it tells people they can write to you in their own language.
Last step
Send your new profile to a friend who speaks English as a second language and ask which line they didn't understand. Then fix that line. Once the messages start, our tips for first messages with someone from another country pick up where this post ends.
If you'd like to try it somewhere, you can create a free profile on Bridesa, search for singles by country and message them without paying.
Cover photo: Brooke Cagle / Unsplash
Comments
Post a Comment